FUN FACTS ABOUT JUICE CLEANSING
My wife and I started Tokyo Juice because of the transformative difference juicing made on my own personal health. My poor diet ultimately led to skin problems and autoimmune conditions which I never had before. I wasted a lot of money on countless creams, prescriptions, herbal treatments and more, but to no avail. Doctors would only prescribe steroids but made no mention about altering my food and diet as a potential remedy.
After conducting my own personal research, I finally understood the importance of raw vegetables. This led me to juicing and in my experience, drinking a green juice everyday, fixed all my health related problems in a matter of months. Aside from seeing my skin condition dissipate, my gut felt better, bowels were regulated and no more brain fog—things I had been battling with for over a course of 2 years that no doctor could help me fix.
For me, the juicing benefits were: healthier skin, normal bowel movements, no more acid reflux, no more fatigue (especially in the afternoons), higher level of focus, concentration, and productivity, and most importantly, a healthier lifestyle.
According to the American Heart Association, it has been suggested that people should consume 350g (with a recommendation of 500g) of vegetables per day. One bag of spinach from our shop is around 150g which means meeting the 350g quota (let alone, 500g) isn’t easy. This is where juicing comes into play. Easier than eating a salad, we extract nutrients from fruits and vegetables and turn it into juice form to help fulfill our daily requirement. Each juice contains about 1kg of vegetables and/or fruits giving your body its necessary dose of nutrients.
Have you ever experienced “food coma” after a heavy meal? Our bodies work hard to digest the foods we eat. In fact, it can take up to 18 hours to digest just one meal, so the heavier the meal, the harder the digestive system has to work to break it down, leaving you listless and lethargic. Juice cleansing really just gives your body a break while offering a ton of benefits which include but are not limited to:
- An energy increase
- Weight loss
- Reduction in inflammation
- Improved metabolism and digestion
- Clearer complexion
- A boost to the immune system
- Stronger, healthier hair, skin and nails
- Increased mental clarity
- Better sleep
- Healthier food cravings and habits
Our juices are made to order to preserve its maximum level of nutrients so please allow at least a 48 hour notice before you begin your cleanse. We offer 1, 3, 5 & 7 day cleanses but suggest newbies and beginners start off with a 3 day cleanse.
THE PRE & POST CLEANSING RECOMMENDATIONS:
In order to receive the maximum amount of benefits and success with your juice cleanse, it is highly recommended that you take these instructions into consideration. It’s quite simply a way to kickstart your journey towards a healthier lifestyle!
- Reduce your intake of refined sugars including alcohol, caffeine, processed can sugar and foods, corn syrup, red meats and fried/processed foods including complex gluten like bread and pasta. Consume a diet of raw veggies and lean proteins leading up to your cleanse and hopefully, afterwards!
- Try to plan your cleanse around your schedule; meaning, try to take it easy as the decrease in calories will reflect your energy level so don’t cleanse before you’re slated to run a marathon and abstain from heavy exercise.
- Find a partner in crime to cleanse with. It’s easier to succeed if you have someone to experience this journey with who can fully understand and not judge your bouts of “hanger.”
- Remember that water is your friend. You still need to drink water to help your body flush out the toxins.
- Keep all juices cold and chilled. Try to finish the bottle instead of leaving it to finish later as oxygen exposure can reduce the longevity of essential nutrients.
- Time out your day so that you are consuming a juice every few hours with a consistent amount of time in between each juice.
- Exercising is okay as long as it’s not strenuous i.e. yoga, pilates and swimming.
- Headaches, fatigue and irritability are normal. This is just your body detoxifying.
Yay!! You’ve just successfully jumpstarted your journey toward a healthier lifestyle! Cleansing is a great way to recondition your body and mind to consume more raw vegetables and fruits as well as changing your eating habits to consume less processed foods. That being said, you will need to reintroduce solid foods slowly back into your diet. We suggest eating something light in the morning like a banana, broth or smoothie. See how your body responds as you increase your intake of solids throughout the day but stick to light, lean meals and stay away from processed/fried foods, coffee and alcohol for a few more days (or for life!).
THE SIDE EFFECTS:
Every body is different. A lot of variables such as current weight, size and diet will yield different results. If vegetable consumption is not part of your daily intake, you will definitely feel a bit nauseous, tired and weak. This is normal as your body is releasing toxins at a rapid rate. Drinking salt water should relieve some of the symptoms. This is also where our nut milk comes in to help as it contains the salt content you need.